Hello Division 19,
Here is the calendar for the month of February. I have attached a PDF file to print off. Also, I have attached the monthly newsletter.
A new song has been posted. It is from Annie (It’s a hard knock life). It is under FOR KIDS (les chansons). Here is the link. It is from the original Annie movie from 1982.
Have a great evening,
Mme Rode – calendar – Feb
Newsletter for February
(copy of Newsletter below)
French Language Arts
Grammar: adjectives (masculine and feminine accords), er verbs
Writing: we are focusing on non-fiction writing and learning strategies to make our writing more interesting to our readers, such as adding a hook, using questions, using adjectives and using more interesting vocabulary.
Reading: we are focusing on word attack to sound out unfamiliar words that have more than 2 syllables. Also, we will be working on adding expression to our oral reading.
We are finishing our unit on subtraction (double and triple digit). We have explored using a variety of strategies to complete number sentences. Please continue practicing at home with your child.
The next unit we will be working on is GEOMETRY. In this chapter children will be learning:
- sorting strategies (using 2 attributes) for 2D shapes and 3D solids
- how to describe, identify, compare and construct 2D shapes and 3D solids
- how to identify 2D shapes and 3D solids in the environment
- how to describe 3D solids in terms of shapes of faces, number of edges and number of vertices
- how to sort polygons according to number of sides
- how to construct skeletons of 3D objects
We will be starting a unit focusing on structures. We will be having High Tech High Touch science visit the class next Wednesday. Please send $7 to cover the cost.
We are finishing up our unit of mapping. The students really enjoy reading maps. We are also trying to use compasses to move north, south, east and west.
Important Dates for February
- Monday February 9- Family Day (no school)
- Wednesday February 11- In class science workshop
- Friday February 20- Professional Day
- Feb 23-26- Parent/ Teacher conferences (Please return the form ASAP so I can organize a schedule)
- Wednesday February 25- Early Dismissal 2pm
Don’t forget the French Book Fair that is happening this week after school!